Being "glossy eyed" has always conjured up images of a sleepy stare and glassed-over gaze, but after making the rounds at F/W12 New York Fashion Week my views changed. Bobbi Brown literally "glossed" over the eyes at Rachel Roy using lip gloss. You should not use lip gloss on your eyes however. Instead, here's a step-by-step for adding a little shine to your season with eye gloss!
Eye gloss is a Makeup Artist's secret weapon for giving any look an instant edge! We all keep it stocked in our kits for those times when a little shine is the perfect finishing touch. For this look, we glossed over fall's bronzy-brown "it" eye to give the smoky finish a twist that's sultry, chic, & downtown cool. Here's everything you need to recreate the look at home, including a behind-the-scenes video from out shoot.
- Create a smooth foundation with Clinique Even Better Makeup.
- When blending darker shades under the eyes, you can skip the concealer a la Rachel Roy. However, if you feel like you still need a little lightness, opt for an illuminating under eye product like Estee Lauder Ideal Light.
Great news! You can create all the smoke and sass of this look with the all-in-one Urban Decay Naked2 Palette, by blending and layering washes of brown, bronze, and olive shades on the lid.
- Start with a wash of Foxy as a base color from lash line to brow.
- Follow by applying Snakebite from lash line to crease and under the lower lashes.
- Next, blend Chopper in the crease and upward toward the brow.
-To further build the color, sweep YDK into the crease and under the lower lashes.
- Using either Bootycall or Half Baked, highlight under the brow bone.
Tip: For a softer liner look, apply either Busted or Blackout shadow from the Urban Decay Naked2
Palette instead of using an eyeliner pencil.
- Curl lashes and apply several coats of Diorshow Waterproof Mascara
- As the very final step, bring on the shine! Gently apply a touch of Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Skin Protectant onto the eyelids for a glossy finish.
Tip: Keep in mind that even though this look is a smoky eye, you can gloss over any look you'd like! I've seen too many gorgeous options to count, everything from shimmering glossed over ballet pink eyes to slick neon eyes with a futuristic feel. This is not an everyday look, so the point is to play!
Cheeks & Lips:
Carry the shiny bronze trend onto your nails with butter LONDON The Old Bill lacquer. If you prefer a little sparkle in your polish, try Scuppered instead. It's gorge! I also love the idea of wearing this look with dark Emerald nails. Try Estee Lauder Viper or butter Jack the Lad.