mBLOG What motivates you on those days when you don’t want to train?
DL“The end result. I feel great immediately after a workout, and when I see the end results of photo shoots. It’s not just about how I look, but a lot about how I feel. I think it’s important that everyone stays active. Your workout routine doesn’t have to be super challenging, just get active. And once you start, you’ll probably get addicted to the feeling too.”
mBLOG It’s commonly said that you can’t out-train a bad diet. Do you have a strict diet? What’s something you look forward to eating on cheat days?
DL“Yes, you definitely can’t out-train a bad diet, which is why I always eat super clean. It’s very hard to eat on the run, so I like to have premade food I can throw in my backpack. I think it’s key to be prepared for the week. If you think about it, I’m only in the gym for 1 hour a day, 5 days a week, which is less than 4% of my time, so the other 96% is spent outside of the gym. And I hate to call it a diet, because diets are temporary—it’s a lifestyle. So yes, I eat super clean during the week, but Sunday is my cheat day. I have my go-tos, which are pizza, chicken wings and Chinese food—and I can eat a ton of it. It’s fun, you have to reward yourself and have something to look forward to.
mBLOG Do you ever supplement with smoothies or protein shakes? What are some of your favorite things to add to the recipes?
DL“I have smoothies every night, just with some fruit and Greek yogurt—Greek yogurt is great to eat before bed. And I drink protein shakes before and after my workouts. I eat an absurd amount of protein to repair my muscles after working out… my post workout meal consists of 9 eggs (3 whole, 6 whites), 1.5 cups noodles and 1.5 cups of veggies. Also peanut butter is my guilty pleasure. It makes all shakes and smoothies better.”